Thursday, July 3, 2008

Status Update -1

Thanks to 3 day break starting tomorrow :-), I am able to write down this post. I am gonna cover what has happened in last 10 days and whats gonna happen in next 10 days ....

1. Official Dining Hall Inauguration- As I wrote in my last post , a new dining hall has come up exclusively for GMP students. This was officially inaugurated on 25 June. The event was a good way to unwind and talk to the faculty along with wonderful dinner and cocktails. Few of the enthusiasts clicked couple of pics too. Here is one ... Well, I am being selfish enough to pick the one where I am in center :-)


2. Different Committees- As in any civil society, you need people who can volunteer to work that extra mile to achieve something that can be mutually beneficial for the entire society, you need these volunteers for the betterment of the GMP juntaa too. How much do these volunteers actually volunteer and how much result can they bring forward is a debatable question though ;). Nevertheless, we had elections (yes, you read correctly elections- we did closed ballot voting, open voting, selection ) to elect members to these committees. Members to Media, Admin, Brochure, Finance, Extra-currics were elected.
I happen to be part of Media committee..:-)


3. Outbound Program- The entire batch of 100 has been divided into three groups. Starting this Friday- Sunday, for three consecutive weeks, one group will be going for an industrial visit to Tata Steel/ mines, one group to Outbound trekking program and third group to bed (Ahhh, that elusive sleep) !!! Its gonna be fun in either of these activities and I am especially looking forward to Steel plant and mines visit. Coming from a Comp Sciences background means I have always been playing around with 'dabba', little seen the big furnaces and deep mines..


4. Academics- I specifically put this down in the last, so that I can write long notes on this. I am not gonna talk about longgggggg study hrs or 6 hrs sleep or case assignments, which is a norm here but rather about things that make me feel excited -
Lets start with micro economics.. there are functions, typically production functions that help you predict what quantity of prodn. is the optimal quantity.. anything less or more will make you lose profits...

Macro- Economics- The big daddy of economics, helps you predict where the national economy is going. You look at country' figures and find for yourself if the economy is sound enough for investment !

Accounting- Checking the balance sheet of companies and trying making meaning out of the same. Where has the company hid its money is something thats interesting ! Will take some time to learn Enron's- creative accounting though!

Quant- Helps you figure out the expected value of anything, like, for example, how many people would visit my blog today? Or whats the probability that people coming to this site will read my friends blogs too !

Ethics and CSR- Interesting to see how people are working for betterment of society and still making money, a win- win situation for all.

Organization Behavior- Different exercises have enabled me to see what kind of person I am and what shortcomings do I need to work through !

The reason why I find all this interesting is that it gets closer to real life problems per se, unlike the java or .net where your only partner is a compiler !! With 20 days of course, I am already feeling enlightened ! and Thanks to the wonderful profs here who have made their subjects pretty interesting !

No comments: